BEND: P.O.W. (SNK 1988)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BEND: P.O.W. (SNK 1988)

So, decided to bend an arcade board i had lying around in the shack..

It's a horrible Beat em up from 1988 called P.O.W. by SNK.. I have the american version..

2 CPUs, a 68000 and a Z80.. The Z80 runs the sound, which is the usual Yamaha FM chip (4op) and a Custom NEC 'speech synth' ship - which is really a sampler, apparently taking it's instructions from a nice familier Eprom next to it (them)..

There is a large daughterboard full of custom Video memory too.. It's chips feed the sprites and some of the backgrounds..

There are 2 large Eproms in the centre of the board - these handle backgrounds and colour..

You can get the pinouts from the 68000 and z80 easily, and the memory chips are all fairly predictable for bends..

You can crash the yamaha music chip, well, pause it, and then apply bends to the addresslines on the NEC speech chip for some awesome nonsense, and mixing up the addresslines on the various memory chips gives for some cool crap (see clip)..

http://www.mrspring.info/vbulletin/r...hp?station=173

Gonna use the sounds in something soon, it's so glitchy..
    jUst plAythAtbEAt

And it sounds like THIS my friends..

You can hear me pausing and releasing the Yamaha Chip - this is to get clean bursts of the NEC chip..

THIS SHOULD BE YOUR RINGTONE
    Attached Files
    Last edited by playthatbeat; Thu 17-06-2010, 2:23 PM.
    jUst plAythAtbEAt

Comment

?

Wasted a over a minute listening to that, Yes I did play it twice
      Dont play dat beat

Comment

Working...
      X