• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lunix Rules - Video Proof!!

[YOUTUBE]E4Fbk52Mk1w[/YOUTUBE]

OMFG! Check out that 3d nonsense..

YOU LOVE IT
    Last edited by playthatbeat; Thu 21-02-2008, 3:10 PM.
    jUst plAythAtbEAt

ok so the 3d stuff rocks, but where's the practicality?

Comment

practicality off. u know it makes sense...
      bit like an 8 track recorded lol
      I AM A UFO

Comment

Well this is good news - Beryl & Compiz merged.

<rant>
        This stuff first appeared in mid/late 2006 when you could either have Compiz *or* Beryl and it was pretty unstable. Some GTK+ gnome apps would lose their window borders completely (maybe due to Metacity [gnome window manager] being replaced without the app coders making room for that) resulting in lots of windows that could't be closed, and in the worst cases, you could set up the FX for an init 5 login, but when you logged out and back in, you could easily get a black screen. For good. Hard to read troubleshooting docs 'blind'

So as time went on, both window managers improved and became way more stable, I think even Novell were selling the FX desktop as a part of SuSE recently, which suggests they trust it.

That video - Why in the fsck do they want to make the GUI black and the folders yellow? That's MS behaviour, that is. What, the devs have come all this way to make a linux OS look like Vista? That's not worth a fishes tit! >|:
        Then again, it's completely free. It don't cost 6 ton. It won't gradually disable itself after 30 days...

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to a single rpm or apt package that does the lot without having to install a shower of inter-dependable sh*te to get it to play ball, so that merge they're talking about might make that a reality.
        If anyone wants to play with this stuff, it might be an idea to make another (test) account, log in to that and apply the effects in there so if it all goes pear shaped your original session will remain workable.

Old Skool Compiz/Beryl for Fedora info here to see what we had to deal with up to now. Then Again...
        Meanwhile, this GUI is all very nice, but we all know if you want performance from a box, don't use the gui at all (Gentoo or FreeBSD are faaast for that stuff).
        There is an entire generation of *nix sysadmins & sysengs growing up who do not know how to use the command line, which ain't so good.
        </rant>

The Desktop FX are great when they work, but personally I got pissed off a bit when I had to wait for the trippy shit to fade in and out after pressing alt+tab (yeah alright - I know every aspect is tweakable with beryl anyway, butcha know what I mean :P ).

Nice to have it though. Hats off, coz it must've taken a lot of time to build all this.
        Last edited by ; Thu 11-10-2007, 1:28 AM.

Comment

UPDATE:

I downloaded the DVD .iso for Mandriva 2008 from the ftp.esat.net/public folders, and i have to say its NOT ready yet. Save yourcelves the Download and wait for a full release..

Probs with RC2:

No rpm installed, no working package manager, lacking in many drivers and apps, impossible to compile anything as the kernel and source arenṫ both available yet, and more importantly, the kernel shipped with the RC2 release is a wierd one that most simple drivers *ie: nvidia* installers fail at winging about kernel imcompatibilitys..

FAIL FAIL fuc*ing FAIL.

Also: Several packages are replaced with odd stuff, like the web editor NVU is gone and replaced etc..

My advice: WAIT
          jUst plAythAtbEAt

Comment

Linux &amp; Unix Eyecandy

Here be the eyecandy.

Choose an image from the top or a distro from the drop-down menu.
            For the curious - Mandriva 2008 looks like this.

Comment

Working...
            X