Grrrr... Music Industry takes Eircom to court over file-sharing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grrrr... Music Industry takes Eircom to court over file-sharing

EMI records (Ireland) Ltd, Sony BMG Music Entertainment (Ireland) Ltd, Universal Music (Ireland) Ltd and Warner Music (Ireland) Ltd are taking eircom to court in an attempt to get p2p filesharing ports filtered/disabled to prevent file-sharing of music.

Eircom have been targeted since they're Ireland's largest ISP.

This is arse. The labels want eircom to filter traffic using this kinda shit (screenshots). How dare they? Give the people what they want. I'm gonna watch this one like flies to shite. Was never fond of eircom, but they shouldn't be forced by anyone.

News links: RTE, Irish Times.
    Last edited by ; Wed 12-03-2008, 12:11 AM. Reason: Screenshots added

what if ya just compress a load of them into a zip file and as fergie says.... "senderon"

Comment

They want to filter P2P traffic which means torrents, so if you emailed the files in a .zip that'd be fine as they wouldn't be scanning email.
      Howevva if you want to transfer a load of files in a .zip via bittorrent software to someone then you're shanghaied.

Anything inside a torrent will be scanned, or they block all torrent traffic altogether which is the worst since anything legit (eg Linux CD/DVD distro's) wouldn't happen.

The case has been assigned to the "Commercial Court which handles commercial litigation".

The general feeling is eircom should grow a pair and tell them where to go

Comment

Originally posted by AS400XL View Post
        The labels want eircom to filter traffic using this kinda shit (screenshots). How dare they? Give the people what they want. I'm gonna watch this one like flies to shite. Was never fond of eircom, but they shouldn't be forced by anyone.
        itll never happen

eircom simply wont agree to it because in filtering out even some illegal stuff, theyre leaving themselves to be open to be sued for any illegal stuff that gets through because once they start restricting some stuff based on legality, theyre as good as saying that anything that DOES get through is legal

itll cost them FAR more if they start filtering than it will if they dont, simple as that

legal minefield to even consider starting that carry on and they know it

Comment

Doh!! I haven't a clue what all that stuff is ha ha, I just log on and off

Comment

They are about to put in place some simple sniffing, and will (apparently) warn people seeding stuff to stop.. There is nothing they can REALLY do, but they must at least make an effort to stop or warn against it, otherwise they appear to be CONDONING it, AND making money from it!!
            jUst plAythAtbEAt

Comment

I see said the blind man.

Comment

[QUOTE=playthatbeat;4604]They are about to put in place some simple sniffing, and will (apparently) warn people seeding stuff to stop..

What if you used encryption on the outgoing traffic?? Its an option on utorrent and (i think) bitcomet.. Or can the Uber l33t 31rc0m hax0rs decrypt it X(

Comment

[QUOTE=77am;4643]
                  Originally posted by playthatbeat View Post
                  They are about to put in place some simple sniffing, and will (apparently) warn people seeding stuff to stop..

What if you used encryption on the outgoing traffic?? Its an option on utorrent and (i think) bitcomet.. Or can the Uber l33t 31rc0m hax0rs decrypt it X(

or also a sjabobanator may do the trick!!! lol

sorry for takin the piss but ive no idea what yer on about!

i'd say eircom are only 2 happy to be getting the 3mb always on music downloaders!!! money money money

Comment

Quote: http://torrentfreak.com/how-to-encry...rrent-traffic/

What does encryption Do?

The RC4 encryption obfuscates (LOL!) not only the header but the entire stream. This means that it’s very hard for your ISP to detect that the traffic you are generating comes from BitTorrent.

Yes they areXD

My 02 "3.6meg" is now concistantly at 15-20Kb\s browsing or dl so ill be switching wheter they "throttle" or not >

Comment

As a rule, in your torrenting package you should always enable Encryption, always use random ports, and never torrent on a Fixed IP address..

There can never be a b& on torrenting from the ISP, as they have no real way of knowing if the files are Copyright UNLESS THEY MIRROR ALL YOUR ACTIVITY.

Any loss of service should be responded to with SWITCHING YOUR ISP. This is what happend/s in the States to great effect.

FACT: NOT ALL TORRENTS ARE ROBBED STUFF
                      FACT: NOT ALL DOWNLOADS ARE TORRENTS
                      FACT: NOT ALL COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT IS THRU DOWNLOADS
                      FACT: NOT ALL COPYRIGHT EXTENDS TO DIGITAL MEDIA

Also: Since the ISP is a proxy for all this alleged theft, expect a levy soon on bandwidth to satisfy the people bieng (blatently) ripped off.. (like they did with blank tapes just before they dissapeared!)
                      jUst plAythAtbEAt

Comment

we could be in for a repeat of the "taping songs off the radio" fiasco

EXCEPT WITHOUT THE BROKEN FINGERS FROM PUSHING RECORD AND PLAY AT THE SAME TIME

Comment

Originally posted by playthatbeat View Post
                          Any loss of service should be responded to with SWITCHING YOUR ISP. This is what happend/s in the States to great effect.
                          Im on a subscription with 02 so switching isnt as simple... The plan i masterminded is..... to just STOP paying my bill. Flawless i believe you'll find..

I also found this.. download through google.. works too

http://www.jimmyr.com/mp3_search.php

Comment

FCC looking to fine Comcast for blocking P2P traffic

Friday the 18th's BBC Technology news mentions the FCC in the states (like ComReg here) has started an investigation into US ISP Comcast to see if it can be fined for "managing traffic by stopping some of its 13m customers uploading files to BitTorrent and other peer-to-peer networks."

Comcast has caved and says it will change its policy.

This is interesting. Fair enough - it could be a technicality in the wider scope of things but all of a sudden that IRMA/IFPI case vs eircom looks a shit lot weaker now

Comment

Now then.

Last Thursday's Irish Times for the deal. IRMA have an item on their site at this time of typing here. Can't find anything official on the eircom.net minefield.

Anyway:
                              "As part of the settlement, the record companies will supply Eircom with the IP addresses of all persons who they detect illegally uploading or downloading copyright works."

So, how are EMI, Sony, Universal and Warner gonna get those IP addresses?

Have some office monkey go to a torrent site, download a hot Top40 chart hit torrent and check the list of seeders and leechers to see if they're an eircom subscriber?

How else are they gonna know? Report anyone who has traffic on a p2p port?
                              Eircom agreed to this because it saves them installing sniffer hardware & software on all their circuits which would interfere with privacy law, so does that mean the music industry is now free to spy on anyone?

If this has any effect on legitimate p2p traffic going forward...

Updated 2009-02-02: More linkage

DigitalRights.ie: (maybe a bit left, but more on the security companies employed by teh labels)
                              http://www.digitalrights.ie/2009/01/...and-youre-out/

Irish Legal geezer: (well he's a lawyery type, him)
                              http://www.tjmcintyre.com/2009/01/th...com-music.html
                              Last edited by ; Mon 02-02-2009, 11:03 PM. Reason: MOAR links

Comment

Working...
                              X