Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Mandriva 2009 out..

http://torrent.mandriva.com/public/

2009.0 is out now!! Have a lash - includes NEW KDE 4.1 - NEW EVERYTHING - NEW NEW NEW

Anyone using 2008.1 is probably aware that 2008.0 was the last truely great distro from Mandriva - 2008.1 suffering from Random nonsense syndrome - so let's hope 2009.0 fixes that with a totally new everything .. (can you tell i'm partially sarky here???)

Anyways - there ARE the usual other torrents for the DVD powerpack up already - search mininova.com or whatever for them - the link above is for the curious among you..

Just download the .iso - burn it off to a CD, then boot from the CD and watch it sprinkle magic on your monitor...
    jUst plAythAtbEAt

Mmm.. after a good lurk on http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Tour i can confirm that this new version of mandriva looks especially tasty, with SEVERAL new buzzwords, a shed load of replacements, and some highly confusing new stuff that is guaranteed to keep you busy for a while.. Torrents are very very slow though..
    jUst plAythAtbEAt

Comment

Sadly, a mass-enuffing of the new DKE4 desktop has been issued.. It's SO buggy and irritating, i rolled back to Mandriva 2008.1, with KDE 3..

Trust me, you do NOT want to know about KDE 4 yet - so, if you must upgrade, opt for a kde 3 desktop, or a Gnome desktop - KDE 4 is fu*ked.

* No more desktop/icons!! instead is a wierd plasma folder thing - SHITE.
      * k3b (dvd burning cd ripping etc.) fails to make MP3s from cds
      * Kompozer the web editor is broken
      * Random spurious graphic nonsense due to permenant 3d desktop (cube etc.)
      * Many more broken programmes and missing stuff
      * File manager is default to some ghay apple-mac clone, you have to set up a widgit to launch the old one (Konquorer) in a file-manager profile else you are stuck with the new one
      * Start-button is just stupid now - makes no sense and is impossible to use
      * Taskbar is infuriating and uncustomisable

But.. on the good side:

* 3d desktop is perfect, er, when it works
      * much faster then 2008
      * slicker feel and look
      * now more friendly for macfags with it's annoying filemanager and so on
      * is called 2009 instead of 2008
      * will definatly break on you providing hours of fun fixing it
      * thats all really

I have officially b& it from here, as it's too messy - but i hear if you install it by command line and choose KDE 3.x or Gnome, it's very nice..
      jUst plAythAtbEAt

Comment

Link to the Bootable Gnome version of 2009:

ftp://ftp.esat.net/pub/unix/linux/ma...cdrom-i586.iso

Download it - burn it to a CD - Boot off it and you are in the new lad..

And if you have a taste for adventure, try the KDE 4 version:

ftp://ftp.esat.net/pub/unix/linux/ma...cdrom-i586.iso

You OWE it to your computer to try this.. And yes, you can see your Windows files from the boot-cd and all that nonesense - just try it..
        jUst plAythAtbEAt

Comment

Update: Spring version of this : 2009.1 is due out any day now.. Not sure if the KDE 4 is in any way less annoying though..

I have only 1 seldom used machine running 2009 here, the others are all on 2008.1 still, and as long as i stay in KDE 3.5, the only real difference is the stupid fuc*ing DOLPHIN filemanager, and the lack of easy Konqueror-in-file manager mode..

Shortly after the release of 2009.0, the internets were full of THIS IS THE VISTA OF LINUX slurs, and they were right! It causes more trouble then it is worth

.. the media sauce (inc. the PLF) options at http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ still support 2008.1 without any hasstle, so i suppose staying put is safe enough..

Anyway, latest machine to get the mandriva linux treatment is a lil 900 eeepc i have.. i went for a LIVE INSTALL of the 'one' KDE bootdisk CD.. and it's happier then it was with POWERPACK for some reason..

Actually looking forward to 2009.1 in the hopes it fixes the messing started with 2009.0!!
          jUst plAythAtbEAt

Comment

Workaround for Dolphin

K, I can (and do) remove dolphin completely here. It's a standalone package that shouldn't depend on anything else. Once enuffed - use the original Konqueror for file management.

Create a link/shortcut/launcher to Konqueror, but in the "exec" or "command" space (or whatever the tab is to launch the program - command line entry) enter "konqueror --profile filemanagement" and save. Not being in KDE atm, here's a textdump of mah home dir launcher (Home.desktop placed in ~/Desktop) :

Code:
            [COLOR=Purple][Desktop Entry][/COLOR]
            [COLOR=Lime]Comment[/COLOR][COLOR=Red]=[/COLOR]View home folder
            [COLOR=Lime]Comment[/COLOR][COLOR=Cyan][en_GB][/COLOR][COLOR=Red]=[/COLOR]View home folder
            [COLOR=Lime]Encoding[/COLOR][COLOR=Red]=[/COLOR]UTF-8
            [COLOR=Lime]Exec[/COLOR][COLOR=Cyan][$e][/COLOR][COLOR=Red]=[/COLOR]konqueror --profile filemanagement
            [COLOR=Lime]GenericName[/COLOR][COLOR=Red]=[/COLOR]Konqueror File Browser
            [COLOR=Lime]GenericName[/COLOR][COLOR=Cyan][en_GB][/COLOR][COLOR=Red]=[/COLOR]Konqueror File Browser
            [COLOR=Lime]Icon[/COLOR][COLOR=Red]=[/COLOR]kfm_home
            [COLOR=Lime]MimeType[/COLOR][COLOR=Red]=[/COLOR]
            [COLOR=Lime]Name[/COLOR][COLOR=Red]=[/COLOR]Home
            [COLOR=Lime]Name[/COLOR][COLOR=Cyan][en_GB][/COLOR][COLOR=Red]=[/COLOR]Home
            [COLOR=Lime]Path[/COLOR][COLOR=Cyan][$e][/COLOR][COLOR=Red]=[/COLOR]
            [COLOR=Lime]StartupNotify[/COLOR][COLOR=Red]=[/COLOR]true
            [COLOR=Lime]Terminal[/COLOR][COLOR=Red]=[/COLOR]false
            [COLOR=Lime]TerminalOptions[/COLOR][COLOR=Red]=[/COLOR]
            [COLOR=Lime]Type[/COLOR][COLOR=Red]=[/COLOR]Application
            [COLOR=Lime]X-DCOP-ServiceType[/COLOR][COLOR=Red]=[/COLOR]
            [COLOR=Lime]X-KDE-SubstituteUID[/COLOR][COLOR=Red]=[/COLOR]false
            [COLOR=Lime]X-KDE-Username[/COLOR][COLOR=Red]=[/COLOR]
            [COLOR=Lime]X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain[/COLOR][COLOR=Red]=[/COLOR]desktop_kdebase
            The point is, when Konqueror is launched with the --profile filemanagement switch, it will display a default file manager window (instead of the web browser), which you can then customise to yer taste and save the config. Settings -> Configure View Profiles... should do it.

Then there's no more gyp from Dolphin, because it just won't be there

Also - you can create as many Konqueror Profiles as you like for any amount of folders with any amount of settings, call them with "konqueror --profile <profile name>". Shud B Gud.

wh00ps: forgot to say, once you save a profile, close konqueror and re-open again with that profile, sometimes the window size isn't restored (eg if it was maximised when u saved, it might not be now), so you might have to save a config twice... has happened to me, maybe a KDE bug.

man konqueror here.
            Last edited by ; Sat 18-04-2009, 7:05 PM.

Comment

Ah man, thats the way to dump Dolphin!!!! tonight i finish off the dual-boot on my eeepc 900.. has a stripped version of XP on 4GB, and next is lunix for the remaining 16gb, so this is the way to go!

Mandriva had been going on about extra compatibility for eeepc (and clones), but thats only strictly true for the 700 series.. the 900 & 1000 needed patches to the kernel and HAL apparently according to this blog... I found it started off well, the powerpack, ONE as a LIVE INSTALL or whatever, but then it just s-s-s-staggered its way after a while and ended up being next to useless, unable to even handle youtube This, of coarse, was with 2008.1, since i hate KDE4 and wanted 3.5.. So trying the download for 'cooker' 2009.1 ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/mandrake/Man...so/2009.1/rc2/ as it claims better support for netbooks blah.. As soon as it's done, i'll be nuking Dolphin and seeing how we do..

Maybe i should just go for Gnome instead of KDE and be done with this?

No NEVAR!!! KDE to the end!!! (etc.)

Anyways, only days to the release of 2009.1, and the WIP is here: http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.1_RC_2

Get ready for distro that is supposed to save Linux's reputation after the fail that was KDE 4!!
              jUst plAythAtbEAt

Comment

Have cooker (2009.1 rc2) on the eeepc now.. initially it seems very fluid.. had issues with mouspad - needed this package - x11-driver-input-synaptics-1.1.0-2mdv2009.1

WiFi,sound and the usuals are all working without a hitch, now to give it the VLC workout after i allow it to update its kernel to what i suspect will be the eeepc HAL-friendly non-staggering kernel that is rumoured to fix all the shakey behaviour.

the desktop is less stupid now too.. no more stupid bullshit intelligent icons or that transparent crap.. just nice reliable stuff you can click..

So far though, no sign of a massive fail.

edit: except for the 515 packages needing updates. (yawn)

edit: nah, konquorer crashes.. dolphin is forced use i think.. and kde 4.2.2 still has that shitty plasma desktop.. actually, its the plasma that is at fault - everything you do gives errors with it.. it SUCKS. (sigh)

GOOD bit is: vlc seems solid so far
                Last edited by playthatbeat; Mon 20-04-2009, 2:34 AM.
                jUst plAythAtbEAt

Comment

ah feck.... another over my head topic

Comment

Ok, 2009.1 is out today..

I usually go for the PWP (powerpack) installation.. but i have to say the ONE version is the way to go with this.. You should download the ONE iso - burn it to a CD and boot from it.. if it manages to get you sound, video and internet from this, then you should go for the LIVE INSTALL option to add it to your machine..

the iso for ONE should appear in a folder called 2009.1 at this address:

ftp://ftp.esat.net/pub/unix/linux/ma.../official/iso/

It's not up yet as there are some last-minute issues.. but i'll post here with a full ink when it is..

after you reboot into it, go here in Firefox to set up the repositorys for software updates: http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ remembering to add PLF repositorys if you want to be able to actually DO stuff..

For those still not in the know, the PLF (penguin liberation front) is the reason Linux shits all over OS-X and Windows right now, and always will

I installed the 'cooker' (ie beta test) version of 2009.1 on my eeepc a few weeks ago, and it now reports in a terminal it is 'version 2009.1 official' - so i have already updated to a stable version automaticly thanks to settin up repositorys at easyurpmi
                    jUst plAythAtbEAt

Comment

torrent for the 2009.1 KDE edition bootdisk: http://torrent.mandriva.com/public/2...m-i586.torrent

Or, alternativly, if you want to look like a MAC try gnome: http://torrent.mandriva.com/public/2...m-i586.torrent

get it into you

also, if you want a tour: http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.1_Tour
                      Last edited by playthatbeat; Wed 29-04-2009, 10:06 PM.
                      jUst plAythAtbEAt

Comment

ONE is the one - yes download the ONE edition of Mandriva and boot your computer from it, the PWP (powerpack) unfortunatly has the aids.. http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?t=110078 <-- read this about the google bollocks bundled with the PWP version..

a taster quote:

Would someone at Mandriva be kind enough to explain why this is? What specifically are these integrations for, and what are they doing?

Google is a CIA front for the "total information awareness office" of the NSA. It was funded by a company founded by the CIA. BTW facebook was funded the same and has former NSA big wigs on the board of directors.

Until I hear otherwise I'm going to have to assume the purpose of this integration is somehow cooperative with people that have ill intent. Did the CIA hand a wad of cash to Mandriva? NSA? One of their front "investment" companies??

Go here, and refresh the page repeatedly until you see a graphic that says "google; cool, or connected?" Read up on the reality of google.

http:// w w w . s c r o o g l e . o r g / c g i - b i n / s c r a p e r . h t m l
                        OMF(etc.)
                        jUst plAythAtbEAt

Comment

That quote is just fkn classic.

Comment

Working...
                          X