Eircom DNS hammerin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eircom DNS hammerin'

As widely reported in "Da Meeja", Eircom have suffered what they believe to be DDoS attacks on their DNS servers. This happened last week but more famously last night. Eircom statement here (at this time of typing), Register item here and boards.ie thread here (from post #338 onwards)

Sure eircom's techs are pulling their hair out and liaising with other Irish ISPs for the post-mortem, they say they have fixed the problem, but if the network is down a workaround is to use OpenDNS if you want.
    Last edited by ; Tue 14-07-2009, 6:22 PM.

Lol.. i think this DNS exploit is detailed in the latest issue of WIRED MAGAZINE, and the reason Eircom (and therefore most of the ISPs that lease from them) are suffering is they didn't patch for it.. I expect the patch is on now, but if not, they DESERVE the messing.

BT had this last week as well, but had it patched in 20 mins..

It is summertime - and that means it's hackertiem.
    jUst plAythAtbEAt

Comment

Sunday and monday this week, Sunday to tuesday last week!

i dont think my connection was gone totally cos "network diagnostics" indicated i had a working connection but it seems like it was just so slow nothing would work!

wonder if they will still charge the full wack in the next bill!

Comment

Someone tripped over the power cable tbh!

Comment

Check WIRED MAGAZINE, june UK edition for the FULL story on this exploit, and how to do it.. It's based around a bit of DDos and 404-spoofing, but is WELL known, and easy to patch against.. The fact Eircom can;t fix it is testement to how cutbacks & lazieness FAIL HARD.
          jUst plAythAtbEAt

Comment

Gooin Down Calforneee Way See if i can finds me sum Internet

I hears They Got a WHOLE Mess of it up there You can Practically Roll around In It ! !

♪♫♪♫ NoT fOr ArMeR ♪♫♪♫

Comment

Originally posted by playthatbeat View Post
              It is summertime - and that means it's hackertiem.
              Is cache poisoning... the word? But some of the things they did (twitter.com and rte.ie queries took you to smut pages etc.) - story here - is funny sh1t and funny goes a long way!

Comment

not funny- I tot I had a conficker worm- had all my puters in quarantine until I rang eircom and heard an automated messege!!!
                watching Decade Of Dance: An Irish Fairytale

Comment

Fkn Hilarious! This is better than the sploom at google who blocked the whole internet back in February.

Whatever the situation, be sure that some poor techie will be beaten, tortured and maimed by that powerful evil corporation called eircom if it ever happens again, so it might not.

Comment

Working...
                  X