Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fu*k Mandriva - www.mageia.org is next..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fu*k Mandriva - www.mageia.org is next..

seems the nonsense that ruined mandriva after 2008.1 has been noted..

http://mageia.org/en/

a new split from mandriva, with the correct attitude.

it's all only kicking off now with first version due in march 2011, the first .iso tests due in 2 weeks.

to sum up:

NEW LINUX IS BEING BORN NOW - WATCH IT HAPPEN HERE
    jUst plAythAtbEAt

is it true a 11 year old invented Linux?

Comment

Yeah fork mandriva I have to admit anything after 2008.1 is as bad as vista for bloat and they broke what did not need fixing. Hmm also 11yr old has made me crack my on wifoo heh.
      I AM A UFO

Comment

SO, after waiting for the customary 1 revesion before jumping on-board, i am pleased to say that Mageia 2.0 is EXCELLENT.

i download the dvd this week, then set about making a backup of my /home, and off i went installing to a new device, disconnecting the previous one with mandriva on it..

i copied the (hidden) folders for Thunderbird (mail) and a few other things over to the fresh /home, and after some messing installing the 'tainted' nvidea driver and associated kernel, i am now banging away at a really really slick desktop. Mageia is superb, really. try it.

the differences between it and mandriva? few under the hood, just streamlining.. You can use most old 201x.x mandriva rpms if you cannot find them supported in the mageia package thingy. The 'plf' repository where we used get things like dvd codecs and lame and so on is now referred to as 'tainted', and it's got all your family favorits there.

i have been on this for about 3 days now, and unless something really horrible happens, i'm sticking with it..
        jUst plAythAtbEAt

Comment

ive been on mageia for a while now, and it's so tidy i love it.

only real issue is if you use the nvidia driver provided by nvidia for your graphics card - ie: if you want PROPER speed and quality in Your display - then You get a memory leak that slows your system over 10-14 days to a clogged up piece of shit. you need to exit the gui and start it again about once a week to keep it zippy.

anyway, this week mageia took #2 in the distrowatch chart: http://rtn.asia/1386_mandriva-fork-m...-2-distrowatch ahead of ubuntu - the fanboy's favorite. only MINT linux is more awesome apparently. never tried it, but it's been longtime associated with win from what i remember.

so, to the download pages - get a load of this: http://www.mageia.org/en/downloads/
          jUst plAythAtbEAt

Comment

Originally posted by jasonmcareedj View Post
            is it true a 11 year old invented Linux?
            no, you are thinking of the iPhone - which was STOLEN from an 11 year old who made one out of an old cassette box and some modelling clay. much the same way jeremy clarkson stole his personality from derek griffiths.
            jUst plAythAtbEAt

Comment

Working...
            X