LAN - Shitty Connection Speeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAN - Shitty Connection Speeds

any1 know anyway of getten good speeds on LAN, im on one and its slower than dialup. so fuckin annoying!

sounds fishy.. do you share the network with anyone else? is there wireless involved? in your network settings, is DCHP enabled? - if it is, try giving yourself a fixed IP address, and find out the ip of your DSL modem - 192.168.1.1 for esatbt, 192.168.1.254 for eircom usually - and put this ip address in for the GATEWAY and DNS SERVER after selecting a nice IP for yourself that is..

this should speed up stuff..

you can use the "ping" command in a console session (START-RUN-tyep "cmd"-ENTER in XP) to ping your router... like if its esatbt, "ping 192.168.1.1" will give you a speed rating to your Gateway.. each trip should take about 1.0ms, if its alot more, your network interface may be shite, or have slow settings.. fiddle with them in your control panel/networking or hardware settings and see if they are set badly.. if your pings are fast, and no losses etc., then your broadband deal is the culprit.. the cheapo ones have a massive contention rate, and sometimes bounce you all over the shop..

use the OPERA browser, and install the "ip address" widgit (in the widgits menu - "add widgets") and write down the numbers you see in it. if these numbers change more then once in about 24 hours, you have assurance you are bieng "hopped" to allow more people then there are IP adresses on the provider's network to use it. this "client compression", along with contention - when you SHARE an allocated amount of bandwidth with a set number of other subscribers - are why you can get free broadband with call deals, or monthly broadband for 9.99.

bottom line: if it`s shit, it`s either your fault for having a bogey system, or your fault for choosing a crap provider.
    jUst plAythAtbEAt

Comment

im not gonna even attempt that incase i fuck it up lol

Comment

don`t be afraid to look! they DEPEND on you bieng afraid to look.. you cannot do any harm issueing commands in a "command prompt" (ie: black box/window) - and if you are in doubt, issue the command only with the swich "/?" and the command will explain itself.. so, in a box, type: "ping /?" and hit enter - and it will amuse you.
        jUst plAythAtbEAt

Comment

No sorry I shuda mentioned that I am sharing the network with around 100 or more users, its in a student village.. jus plug into it at a port in the wall, no modems notten. I presume the reason its so slow is bcoz the connection is spread over so many computers.. Prob nothin I can do anyway is there.. Cheers for the lengthy and detailed reply doh Tim

Comment

Working...
          X