User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Online Users: 575

0 members and 575 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,271, Tue 02-12-2014 at 9:52 PM.

» Stats

Members: 1,292
Threads: 2,870
Top Poster: playthatbeat (4,664)
Welcome to our newest member, mmgjr
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details
    we got dicked..

Downloads
    Uploads
    So, chips from Aliexpress (alibaba.com) arrived today - see pic.. They are NOT as pictured in the original order page (the 'before' pic below) in fact SLIMBODY but are the common WIDEBODY chips (see the screengrab of the product page as it looks today 'after' attached) .. Datecode is 8649, so 3rd last week of 1986.

So, let the warning go out - if You see slimbody chips for sale from china - prepare to be dicked.

So the next thing to do is a step-by-step of making the convertors for the wide to slim.. let's start by ordering some 'Turned Pin Wire Wrap SIL Socket 32 Pin' on ebay - 1 of these is needed for each convertor - and some spripboard for the chassis - get what you can afford, and some 'Turned Pin DIL IC Socket 15.24mm 24 Pin' - 1 per convertor - i got them all from http://spiratronics.com/ in the UK (also on ebay)..

(sigh)

so.. more when all this is here..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by playthatbeat; Fri 01-08-2014 at 12:50 PM.

2. Collapse Details

Downloads
    Uploads
    OK, let's make 2 adaptors to allow widebody CEM 3396 to fit in a matrix 1000.

Gather Your parts: Enough 'Turned Pin Wire Wrap SIL Socket' - these are the long single chip socket rails - to sit in the chip socket on the matrix 1000 main board, so 2 x 12 hole strips, and any size 24 pin DIL socket - i used what i had for the socket part, then cut the middle away so i was left with 2 single rails of 12 pins, short legs. I actually HAD short-legged SIL rails in the bag, but because the sockets were gold plated, and i'm a hopeless sucker for gold-plated nonsense, i used them instead. This was a mistake as You will see later, as i ended up having to file the short pin rails' edges, and then bend one of the long pin rails after attaching, as it would not sit straight due to the 'stubs' left over from being a DIL socket. ah well. read on, you'll see. But for less trouble, use short-pin SIL rails, don't break a socket like i did.

Then measure out the area you need to seat a chip with strip board

Score the shape on the copper side with a hard knife repeatedly, so you can 'snap' along the mark cleanly (remember: strips run from side to side on the board...)

Once You have 'snapped' away your board pieces, break the strips in the middle as best You can - i have a tool for this, but you can use the hard knife again, a drill bit, anything - just break that copper strip in the middle

Then attach the short-pin rails as shown, pins on the copper side ofc, making them properly aligned so the wide-body chip can sit in the holes (try and remember to attach them 'stumps out' if you use a broken 24pin DIL - see below)

Then add the long pinned rails in the same way, making sure they are the right distance apart so as to meet the socket on the matrix 1000 properly.

If like me, you made your 2 short rails from a 24pin DIL socket, and forgot to attach at least one of them with it's inner wall facing out, so the stumps dont interfere with the long rail fitting in the holes next to it, You may have to file the inside of the short rail, push the long in as tightly as you can, then bend it's long pins to fit after soldering. Yeh, i know, but that's what i get for rushing this!

Then You can mount your finished assembly in the sockets of the Matrix 1000 - here i have replaced voices 4 & 5 with my converters, and the 2 chips i got from AliExpress.

Sitting the converters in the socket is tricky - you should align one side at an angle from above, gently bending the capacitor on the bottom right corner out of the way, rock into the socket gently, then straighten up from above, aligning the other row of pins into the socket, then when you can clearly see all the pins are sitting well, apply uniform firm pressure on each side of the converter - it will 'clunk' slowly into place. once it is in, You will never have to remove it, so do it slowly and get it right. Because the converter stands away from the board on it's long pins, It may *look* like this will touch the case once it's back on, but it does not.

So, my M1000 now has 4 types of chips of different dates and sizes. The original smallbody from December 1988, the smallbody i got on ebay from December 1990, 2 widebody from June 1986 and now 2 widebody from December 1986. This means ONLY ONE of the chips it shipped with still works. To be sure i have a uniform sound, i started the CAL function, and after it i cannot tell the difference between the various voices. The purist nerds in the room insist the slimbody chips have a brighter sounding filter for the same value - as if the chip has it's filter cutoff offset as slightly more open then the widebody chips, but this was inconclusive as the patches showing this had heavy modulation and it was difficult to establish a pattern beyond question. Same for envelope release value - it appeared the widebody chips had a slightly longer decay for the same AENV value, again, this is probably bollocks.
    Last edited by playthatbeat; Mon 11-08-2014 at 3:35 PM.

3. Collapse Details

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just noticed that the video i put here: http://www.mrspring.info/vbulletin/s...ll=1#post10132 shows that chips 3 and 6 were not working, but i replaced 4 & 5 in the post above - this is because i moved the chips about to make sure the fault moved with them. No panic.

4. Collapse Details

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeh so, another fu*king voice dies.. SO, in i go and decided to just go full widebody CEM in this machine.

made 2 more convertors - and there is a slight issue with VOICE 6, as it is right next to a riser for the audio out or something - see the pic - so, had to trim the board real tight to make it fit, BUT it does fit, and off we go with total widebody chips onboard now.

I still have 1 original slimbody chip working, but i decided to remove it and go wide.

PROOF that slimbody chips are bollocks == all the wide chips are still working fine.

in testing, i notice a slight difference in filter quality voice-to-voice, even AFTER a 'CAL'.. not sure if this is the chips themselves, or the voice circuits themselves - who cares, this is analog, and that means some organic movement
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Collapse Details

Downloads
    Uploads
    This week ( w/e June 10 2017 ) We heard that CURTIS synth chips are being commercially manufactured again, in plain sight, without any attempt at deception. They have started with the CEM 3340 - the VCO chip used in The MemoryMoog, OB-Xa and more importantly, the Voyetra 8. Interesting that this has happened. I suspect the chinese knockoffs caused this to happen. It;s been long suspected that the 'NOS' chips appearing were in fact recently made without licence. So, maybe the apparent rarity of CEM stuff will now subside?

This is good news. Really, it is.
    Last edited by playthatbeat; Sat 10-06-2017 at 11:30 AM.