Build: Shruthi-1 Synth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build: Shruthi-1 Synth

So, Anodyne roped me into getting a Mutable Instruments' SHRUTHI-1 Kit a while back.. the website is here: http://www.mutable-instruments.net/ and it's both stylish and detailed.. I had no problem parting with the miniscule amount of money for the full Kit - 2 boards (proc/control and filter) components and transparent case, in fact i was suspicious of it being so reasonably priced, given how the thing sounds and looks - see and listen here: http://www.mutable-instruments.net/shruthi1

The build was silly easy.. the most annoying thing with these builds is the fuc*ing resistors.. All that headscratching and stripes and nonsense - but the way the build is directed is great, the order things are done in makes it so little stress You can easily do a board an evening.. Painless was painless.. You also get most parts values marked on the board, so it's unlikely You will make a mess..

2 things i noticed - the resistors have to be bent right up to the limit to get them to fit tightly against the board, i tired of this after 2 or 3, and just got them in there all crooked and random, but in. Yes, i know, if your OCD is in the red You'll add time to the build making the resistors neat. Also, the pins connecting the boards - don't solder them to the filter board until everything is done, you will need to assemble the layers and THEN tack them in. I built the filter board FIRST, which worked out well, leaving the junction pins 'till after i had built the other board.

The box is a little strange to build, kinda chicken & egg closing it.. You need to start by pushing the 4 long bolts thru' the bottom plate, then securing them with a small nut, then over them slide the filter board, THEN the spacers, then small nuts from above with washers.. You will see what i mean - kinda fiddly.. You will get it though. Maybe try doing it with the protective crap still on the plastic panels first..

The whole thing reminds me SO MUCH of the midibox sammich series.. But, and let me be clear on this, it's a cakewalk compared to the sammich.. The build is so much easier, and the menu structure and so on is also far simpler.
    Attached Files
    jUst plAythAtbEAt

Here's how it sounds - first fiddle, no idea at all what anything does, just running a simple mono line from the flame 6 in a row into the s-1 and fiddling with the pots on the front.. lol.. It has a nice pleasing on-board sequencer, but i decided to go with the flame cos it was there.

i didn't calibrate the resonance, i may do it some other time, but for now, this is just after i finished it and took it for a test drive..
    Attached Files
    Last edited by playthatbeat; Wed 10-10-2012, 6:38 PM.
    jUst plAythAtbEAt

Comment

Working...
    X