MOD: TR-909

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOD: TR-909

This weekend my 909 left the studio for the first time since 2009, as Jeff Mills was playing at LIFE X1, and needed a loan of one. Previous to this, it's lived on it's shelf since 1993! I was super nervous he would freak out when he saw the mods, as it could effect his performance and throw him into a bad night in front of a festival crowd, but, as with ALL my mods, i made sure the machine could be set at STOCK and would behave like a virgin 909. My only big concern was my controls are mounted on the sides, in the hand rails. SO, if he was to pick up the machine to move it, he could have hit off some of the switches, making it go crazy. So, i had to warn him before he played. He DID NOT freak out. In fact, he was curious. In fact, everyone on the crew that day was curious about the mods and what they did. SO. here we go.

My 909 has been used on pretty much every recording i made since '93, usually for it's unmistakable Hi hats and bouncy kickdrum. I went thru' a phaze of distorting the kickdrum, but in 2009 realised it had not been used properly in ages. This was because of the shift in taste towards a lower more tonal kick. You probably know what i mean - the TICK-WHUMP kick that virtual synths do so well. The 909 does not do this at all well stock, so i set about trying out some bends on it.

If You watch the video You can see i name the parts i lifted off the board and moved to a switch matrix. Each part will effect one of the 3 things that make up the 909 kick. As usual, You have a choice of the STOCK part, and either an interesting alternative, or a variable version. This means i can change the Drive/Hammer intensity, The decay, The pitch of the main osc, and The effect of the pitch envelope. By combining these You can get all manner of real analogue kicks, and even emulate the low-voltage distortion You get from jacking the inputs to Your desk, but without the added high noisefloor, or lack of low-end. There is also some subtle changes to the range of the 'tick' in the sound, so You can wind back the drive, add decay and trick-the-tick to make a really good 808 kick. Anyway, i love it now, and cannot understand why i left it stock for 15 years!!

All the Kick tricks are on 3-way switches, with the middle being a NULL position - this means you can MUTE parts of the sound, leave them stock path, or via a different resistor or cap. Leaving them in the middle can make some sexy clicking sounds, which can be fun.

The hats are a piece of piss to mod for pitch - Just lift R492 and make it switchable between the original resistor and a pot of Your choice. Best not just replace it with a pot, as you WANT to stay at stock pitch - trust me on this. I made mine 3 way - Stock (thru' the lifted R492), to nothing (gives only a CLICK) and thru' a nice plastic pot which will allow it to scrape along at super low rate thru' to so high the eprom fails to be read. Lovely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcDRloMxXHQ
    jUst plAythAtbEAt

To add to this.. I was standing in the wings when Mr. Mills was playing, ready to set the machine to stock if he got lost in the mods - fairly easy to do - from back to front - first 3 switches DOWN, next 4 MIDDLE - and i observed his technique for syncing the machine to the tunes he was playing in his set. An idea came to me. The TEMPO knob is just a pot, right? So, how about i add some NUDGE buttons? in that, i could have sympathetic resistances on momentary buttons, one to add some resistance, one to reduce the effective resistance thru the pot, resulting in a momentary increase in tempo, or a momentary reduction in tempo - that way he could 'nudge' the tempo and sync the 909 like You would a CD player.. EASY!!!

OK, before You say WHY NOT USE A BEAT TO MTC/MIDI CLOCK or DINSYNC convertor, that derives clock from audio, like the REDSOUND VOYAGER, You need to see this man work, then You will see why not!!! If he was slaved to an external clock, he could not insert those dramatic pauses and stutter tricks, and they are part of his sound. OK, he COULD do some of that, but he would have to rock the start/stop of the CLOCK, not the 909, and that would be laggy, sloppy and not the same.

Anyways, the 909 is back in the studio now, and to answer the questions i have had already:

* No. You cannot has.
    * No. You cannot borrow.
    * All the mods are easy, the parts are marked on the board, lurk moar, get the diagrams/service manual etc.
    * Total cost of the mods was about $10
    * I got mine by trading it for an 808.
    * You cannot kill Your 909 doing this if You are patient and earthed when working on it.
    * Jeff mills is in fact from the planet Venus.
    jUst plAythAtbEAt

Comment

Oh, i forgot to mention, Mr. Mills did actually have a blast on the mods during his set.. I was shitting myself that the kick would not compare well to the kicks on the tracks he was mixing in/out of - You know, lack of fortitude or whatnot.. How wrong was i?! Holy sh!t he worked it hard. Didn't really go for the hihat pitch i thought, and that's understandable as every sh!tty clone out there has tunable hats, so that's not that special really, but, he did let loose on the drive, pitch and decay. You should have heard this thing thru' the 20k Funktion 1 on the District8 stage, it made things fall off tables it was so large. Never mind, You had to be there. Oh, what? You weren't there? Ah well. Maybe next time...
      jUst plAythAtbEAt

Comment

Working...
      X