Another fuckin' mixtape (1996)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another fuckin' mixtape (1996)

Coming soon to the DOWNLOADS section, the legendary ANOTHER FUCKIN' MIXTAPE.. Passed out with a copy of THE ILLUSTRATED RHINO in select shitholes, dives and raves between september and november 1996. Giving away tapes at gigs had been a tradition since '91 in the Olympic, but over the years it changed from being hand-recorded compilation tapes to mixtapes, and stopped being single tapes from a DJ, that were copied by the recipient for friends, to mass-duplicated batches. The game had been upped by '96, and although we started the whole 'free tape' thing, others were at it also now. So, for AFM, in collaboration with the visual artists SIN SIN (who did the SOUND CROWD videos and visuals from '93) the tape was handed out in a ziplock bag, a printed label on each tape, with a comicbook, a packet of customised rolling papers, *and* a lollipop. Something for ALL THE FAMILY!!!

obv, the papers are all long used and the lollipop was in the gob as soon as the claws were on the bag, so all that survives now is the tape and if You are lucky, the comic.

There had been other RHINO issues, so the ISSUE 7 is not a spoof! In fact, there were 8 other issues of RHINO, and 3 of it's sucessor THE HIPPO over the years. A hardback book containing bits from all of them, and plenty of other groovy artwork in the same ballpark was released in the 00's called "star dot star". To annoy You if You want to have the whole collection, it's highly unlikely, as 2 issues were never distributed in Ireland.. One was only available at one of the FRISKY nights at Ministry of Sound (London) and one was only released at a KOMPLOT rave in Valladolid (Spain). Yep. Never gonna happen. Oh, and the HIPPO issues were only used at Arthouse shows by SinSIn - one in Dublin, one in London and one in Glasgow. Anyway, back to the comic that came with AFM - there were lots of different colours of paper used, so rarely were 2 copies the same. Kinda cool. Actually.

The Fanzine mentions the track DIRTY BISHOP by LIQUID WHEEL, which is included in one of the mixes.. This was a release on DT records - the label between RED and SPRING records. Both Liquid Wheel and SinSIn had been involved in RED records since it's early days, and i guess followed to DT when i split RED. Liquid wheel established their own label BLEECH and made some really solid techno for it when i folded DT the following year. the last 2 releases on DT were mrspring's BREAK IT and SinSin's FUCK THE MACHINE, never making it past test-pressing stage..

So, attached here: Issue 7 to enjoy as you listen to AFM.. Listening to it is a little painful now (for me) as the mixing is fairly erratic. I was going thru' a crossfader phaze then, so there is quite a bit of chopping and trying to be clever. I guess we had no effects or crossover/nulling EQ, so it was all seat-of-pants stuff then. All Vinyl as well, so plenty of ropey mixes and the rest. Yes, i know, but it was 96. SUE ME BITCH. OH, and 1 last thing, the tape appears to be 2 different mixes, NOT a full 90 min one. Side 2 had 3 'bonus tracks' on it. A rejected Klubbheads remix of VOYAGER 1, a very much reworked version of Liquid Wheel's BLUE, and a rejected mix of BBE's 7 Days! Again, SUE ME etc.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by playthatbeat; Sun 07-06-2015, 8:36 PM.
    jUst plAythAtbEAt
Working...
X