No announcement yet.

4bit atari synth!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So... first tune made with the 2600 done now, er, i think..

I think i will wait the obligitory 24 hours, and then if it's as goddamn awesome as i think it is, make a video next week and get it out...

In other 2600 news:

I dug out my old Eprom blower for a try at reading an atari cart's rom.. Failed hard, the blower is shite.. An old parallel port one i used in my PIC phaze. Meh.

Anyway, i took apart a PAL cart i got for 99c on ebay - a german language one - as it was from a manufacturer that used an eprom on board, a 2732A, and i reckon i can blow my own roms to it, instead of the awful game it came with.. So i have a ZIF socket on the way (ebay $9) and i will put that on the cart to hold the eprom. I have an eeprom blower for a lend also on the way - nearly bought one (a willem) on ebay for 40eu, but ATARIAGE forums have enuf on them to dissuade me, they are well ropey for old higher voltage chips apparently.. i am going to have to buy a UV erasor, as the bloke lending me the blower only has 1 and so on.. they are cleap - 20euro delivered, so what.. It's done now innit.

So, the plan is to try at making a nice swappable rom cart.. more as i get round to it.. But i really cannot be arsed buying games, even if they are cheaper then 8-track tapes now.. i DID get 1 box of 24 for $9.99 - yay.. but thats the lot for me, gonna make me a 'anything cart'.

.. then can see about getting a shitload of eproms from eprom man and building a nice stash of the best 2600 games for research purposes..

Mmm.. i'm going to have to use the 2600 in the video clip.. since it has a s-vhs output now. i wonder if i could get the Jaguar CD's lightsynth to do stuff for me too? That would be nice. An atari-themed tune and video..
    jUst plAythAtbEAt

Comment

So.. here is the tune, and the vid - both featuring the machine i modded earlier on in the thread..

I must confess to sampling the 2600/synthcart, but hey, so what.

I also dug out my OTHER atari, an Atari Jaguar, and Jaguar CD unit, did a quick S-VHS mod on it, and played the tune through the VLM by Jeff Minter a few times, recording the output, and i mashed that up with some delicious 2600 crashing, and some donated footage from world-renowned lunatic, telecine-sk. So, enjoy! Oh, the extended version is on Juno Download >> game over - chasing the beam

Last edited by playthatbeat; Wed 08-04-2009, 10:39 PM.
      jUst plAythAtbEAt

Comment

Looooverleeee!

Comment

Also: About Jaguar AV mod

I modded the Jaguar i have (an NTSC rev 5 model) to use a S-VHS out port so i could record it's output.. The SCART lead i have works fine on an RGB TV input, but not on my DVD recorder or any of the grabbers i used.. so, open the Jaguar, loose the metal cage, and look around the cart slot - you can pick off the Audio out & chroma & lum out and use the same ground for all as indicated here:

here it is with the vid tapped only (i didnt need the audio)

Yes, i am aware there are docs on the webz for an alternitive way to get SCART out for tellys that don't like the stock one, but fu*k that, i know the S-vhs is grabbable.. so i went in..

There is a video out blurb on the atariage FAQ on the jag
          Last edited by playthatbeat; Thu 09-04-2009, 1:44 PM.
          jUst plAythAtbEAt

Comment

Also: AVGN has a go at the Jaguar:
            and fails to get his Jaguar CD to work

It seems everyone hates the jaguar! except for YaK's Tempest 2000.. Shame, its actually a great console, but as everyone points out, it never got streached to it's max potential

I may revisit the VLM soon, now i have read this about the backdoor into it

YaK - ah yes, what a genius coder!! i remember playing Llamatron 386 in the day.. awesome.. And never getting to grip with TRIP-a-TRON on the amiga.. (sigh)
            Last edited by playthatbeat; Thu 09-04-2009, 1:53 PM.
            jUst plAythAtbEAt

Comment

Originally posted by playthatbeat View Post
              So.. here is the tune, and the vid - both featuring the machine i modded earlier on in the thread..

I must confess to sampling the 2600/synthcart, but hey, so what.

I also dug out my OTHER atari, an Atari Jaguar, and Jaguar CD unit, did a quick S-VHS mod on it, and played the tune through the VLM by Jeff Minter a few times, recording the output, and i mashed that up with some delicious 2600 crashing, and some donated footage from world-renowned lunatic, telecine-sk. So, enjoy! Oh, the extended version is on Juno Download >> game over - chasing the beam

Thats Freakin Awesome Man ! ! !
              ♪♫♪♫ NoT fOr ArMeR ♪♫♪♫

Comment

Working...
              X