Ger (the emperor) R.I.P.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ger (the emperor) R.I.P.

Yeh, i know.. everyone is all over how awesum Ger Was right now.. As the stranglers said 'Everybody loves you when you're dead'.. But, the truth is, for us Oirish, Ger managed to get in to our heads, not once, but twice (three times if you lived in dublin and can remember Big D / ARD / whateveritwascalledbydeccythatweekend).. He changed music radio in the 80's, and then when he moved to daytime (a move i hated because he deserted us at nitetime..) he brought the first animated talk to what was previously a very stuffy National radio service.. Ger was one of the FIRST THINGS i remember being irish that didn't suck balls all the time..

For me, living in Ireland in the 80's was pretty crap TBH.. Almost everything was terrible, but we DID have Radio.. The delicious Pirates, and Radio 2 Nitetime.. Ger was there, late at night, banging out the tunes that simply, nobody elese was playing.. He stuck out for me because he played 12-inch mixes of things.. The longer and more remixed the better.. Human League, Queen, Bowie all got the daytime plays on BBC radio 1 and blasts on Radio Luxemburg, but only Ger even aknowledged the existance of the REMIXES, the looooooong mixes!! In grim ireland in the 80's, this was extremely important.. Well, to me it was.. Ger really did dig the tunes (man) like really he did..

I first met him in 82.. I was a snotty brat that would troll the computer shops of dublin city on a saturday morning.. Playing in the TEXAS INSTRUMENTS shop till ejected, then to that one in Brown Thomas to drool at the Tandys, and always into the mall on grafton street to see Ger.. He NEVER threw us out of the shop he worked in at the time.. Always up for a mess on the machine of the now - always up for a new POKE or PRINT PEEK that would make the machine crash and cover the screen with flashing coloured blocks

The place also sold Home keyboards.. I once spent an hour+ trying to work out the solo in THE MODEL by KRAFTWERK in that shop, until he came over and joined in, resolving the end of the piece for me, as i just COULD NOT find the right notes.. It was a YAMAHA home keyboard thing that took swipe-cards to play tunes - something i could never afford, but he let me play with it, put my grubby hands on it, he let me play, in fact he encouraged me to fiddle.. Something he continued to do right up till the present day..

So, there, a couple of early memorys of the bloke.. Someone i was happy to know, and very pleased to work in the same building as years later.. I reminded him of the encounters in the summer of '82 when i first came to 2fm in the 90's, and he DID remember.. heh.. "so that was YOU?" - yes it was..

So, so long Ger, thanks for the music, and especially the 12-inches!!

Now i must go on the radio and try and not cry all over the place like a total fool.. Tough job, because unlike the fuc*in pope or some fuc*er i never gave 2 fuc*s about, I saw or heard Ger every week for 28 years, and he always had time for me..
    jUst plAythAtbEAt

nice obituary

RIP Gerry Ryan

Comment

Nitetime was our sanctuary. RIP Gerry.
      good girls are bad girls that don't get caught

Comment

k, public grief makes the man important enough to warrant some Nitetime 2FM archives to be made public for playback/reminiscing/mourning/memories and seeing as that's in the national interest now, the national broadcaster should address this.

Get the quarter inch tapes outta the archives underneath montrose and set up some podcasts at least. BBC been at that game for years an blah.

Comment

Tributes from the listeners of 2FM on the session tonight::

00:15:42 mrspring [353879******5] RIP Gerry.
          ---------------------------------------------------------------
          00:15:50 mrspring [353851******2] Devastated is how i feel, his poor children, we have lost an amazing man, beloved by the nation. Mornings from 9 to 12 will never be the same for me and so many. I used to wish he never left to go on holidays and now he has gone forever. He will never be replaced. Marianne - Rathfarnham
          00:15:57 mrspring [353876******9] Can't get u out of my mind Gerry but worse still can hear FIONA messin as usual this am. Sayin when the phone rings so early she thinks someone's died. Then she went on to joke that Gerry's not dead yet but he's half dead. Little did anyone no at the time. She must be feelin awful. My hug's for FIONA Xx
          00:16:04 mrspring [35387******6] To all @ 2fm i just want to say its a very sad day we mourn the loss of a
          00:16:14 mrspring [35387******7] Please play the song when she goes away by Paul Weller! I lost my cousin thursday morning and dis was 1 of his fave songs. Please play this song!! Janice frm ballincollig in cork. Thanks
          00:16:22 mrspring [35387******1] In tribute to gerry could you say bollocks live on air.joe
          00:16:29 mrspring [35387******3] Gerry so sad i wont hear ur voice again. Thank u for ur company fr al those years going to work. May u rest in peace.
          00:16:44 mrspring [353870*****3] R.I.P Gerry Ryan :-(
          00:19:19 mrspring [35386******1] The day wont be the same with Jerry a legend has passed too soon will never be forgotten God rest him Danny
          00:21:38 mrspring [3538******1] The day wont be the same with Jerry a legend has passed too soon will never be forgotten God rest him Danny
          00:21:46 mrspring [35386******5] Lights out what a great show-fergus
          00:21:52 mrspring 35387******5] Jerry loved ur show rip u wil b sadly missed liz
          00:22:00 mrspring [35387******7] Dont feel much like sleeping tonight, haven't felt this bad since my Mom died all of 7 yrs ago. Wud love to hear Kashmir by Led Zep, that was a good old favourite of his. Wont go 2 bed til u play it, got 4 kids u know and Gerry be real mad if u keeping me up. Loved da tributes tonight with lads on late late. Keep smiling. Gerry is!:-) Therese
          00:22:46 mrspring [35387*****6] Ok we get it, enough of that crap music, thats not Gerry RiP, bernie roscommon
          00:23:10 mrspring [35387*****1] Im a massive 2FM FAN + i will miss gerry so much he was always there in my car or ,bedroom + i cant believe he wont b there on tuesday am just so sad graham
          00:24:24 mrspring [35386******9] Wel timy mako ere, listn 2 gerry religously evr mornin d las ten year, the living legend is nw a legend, rip g ryan
          00:26:17 mrspring [35387******2] Good morning from limerick. My name is thomas im 28, and have listened to gerry ryan for years, what a broadcaster he was, amazing felt like i knew him, loved his ryan confidential show and op transformation, he was one of a kind! His memory will never be here for ever! Thanks for the entertainment gerry! Rlp!
          00:26:53 mrspring [3538******8] " LET THERE BE HOPE" GERRY! AS JAMES DEANE SAID "DREAM AS IF YOU WILL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE AS IF YOU WILL DIE TODAY" GERRY ENJOYED LIFE AND HAD THAT SPECIAL GIFT OF GIVING OF HIMSELF. JOHN R. CORK.
          00:27:11 mrspring [35387*******4] Abs gutted .who wil listen to on 2 fm. God love his wife and kids who he adored. May e rest in peace. Dreadful shock to the nation. Helen x
          00:27:59 mrspring [35387******4] Abs gutted .who wil listen to on 2 fm. God love his wife and kids who he adored. May e rest in peace. Dreadful shock to the nation. Helen x
          00:31:30 mrspring [35387******3] I used 2 live in U.K. and i havn't seen anything like it since princess diana died. Just shows how much Gerry Ryan woz loved!
          00:37:11 mrspring [35386******4] I was only just discovering Gerry and I'm shocked. He was a pillar of the community and I miss him already. Rip Gerry from damien.
          00:37:20 mrspring [35387******1] Gerry made my mornings so much easier when i was not workin , i have a job n stil listened in ,was/ is a legend wont b easily replaced but dats not 4 now graham
          00:41:32 mrspring [3538*******0] Its one of those days,that u would wish 2 wake up 2moro and find it was JUST A DREAM!njoyn ur show,wud love 2 hear that jingle again from early days of G.RYAN..RIP.
          00:41:40 mrspring [35386*****1] Mr Spring l know Gerry is dead but some part of my brain won't accept it, l am soo sad ... Mark in Kells.
          00:41:51 mrspring [3538******4] R.I.P. A legend Gerry Ryan .Am in total shock since I heard the news yesterday .dont know what to think.A Good Tune that comes to mind Re Gerry is God is a DJ Mix coz he will be God over the Clouds .Condolences to Wife ,Children, Partner and all you Guys at 2fm too.... From .Liam in Trim..
          00:42:50 mrspring [35387******6] To all @ 2fm i just want to say its a very sad day we mourn the loss of a great man a legend in the entertainment business he was the HOWARD STERN OF IRELAND ....!! may his family &close friends find an understanding peace in all this...! He was a great friend of mine every morning during the week ...!! Bye man i will miss u forever..R.I.P GERRY - trevor
          00:45:09 mrspring [35387*****9] Gerry ryan was my soul companion for over 20 years i listened 2 him every week morning in my kitchen i am a housewife i will miss him all i say feck u gerry why now!! My sympatiy 2 all ur friends nd mostly ur family who were always at d top of ur list RIP. Colette in limerick
          00:46:31 johnoc G R WAS A LEGEND,,,SINCE THE 80S LATE NITE SHOW DEFO....XX RIP ...NOW THE MORNING S WONT BE THE SAME EITHER...j(cork). please play HUMAN by the killers.....he loved it so much !!!
          00:47:37 johnoc LIT A CANDLE TO GERRY THIS EVENING . .R.I.P. GR LEGEND OF AIRWAVES!
          00:48:19 mrspring [35386*******8] My heart is broken because the beautiful man that was gerry ryan has left us nothing will ever replace him in my heart sincerest condolenses to his family from roisin in drogheda x
          00:49:12 mrspring [35387******6] Used to fall asleep with Gerry on when i was 11 or 12 and i'm goin to do the same tonight.one of the few who had balls to open up the mind of this country. Fitz
          00:51:40 mrspring [353*******1] R. I. P. , Gerry has gone 2 a better place where all the geniuses go probably lukin down on us now a true legend gone never 2b 4gotten
          00:56:25 mrspring [35387******3] I always thought, Howard Stern is the Gerry Ryan of America! Thats how good he was! I loved him he was a genius. Dave Cork
          01:02:17 mrspring [35386******2] Sitting up in bed crying my eyes out over Gerry one of the saddest days of my life eileen in cork
          01:03:32 mrspring [35387******4] Sorry for text but i am gutted about gerry R.i.p
          01:06:35 mrspring [3538******1] I listenen to gerry after lar gogan durin wk nights/morn as i cudnt listen durin day.i grew up listenin to g ryan.sad to hear.may his soul be in a better place.anita
          01:07:06 mrspring [35386******0] Cuda wud ya not play'culture club..miss u blind'...the music ur playing is gr8 but just not 4 2nite,lyn.
          01:08:31 mrspring [35386******1] The country ecc means nothing tonight with out Jerry he was there they were not Dan
          01:09:04 mrspring [35386*****1] I Havent felt as sad or so gutted and lonely 4 someone I never meet but loved so so well not since Princess Diana died , Dear Gerry I will miss u oh so much x she was the peoples princess but u were def our peoples prince , all the fun sad and happy stories that got 2 our hearts and the rest that would make us heave ah ! always 2 get. I am dreading turning on to 2 fm on Tue morn and not hearing ur loving voice saying " The Ryan Line is now open " its then I will go 2 bits knowing the Ryan line is now closed 4 ever ! rest in peace dear Gerry 9 /12 will never b the same again 4 me x Mary x x x
          ----------------------------------------------------------------
          01:09:31 mrspring [353879******1] RIP GERRY..liz &family
          01:09:52 mrspring [35387******7] Well gerry i hope your in a better place,wit no worries or grief. You were the best,could hav dun wit a chat on tuesday as me an the wife are at war, kissed another one an got caught? Jus a kiss mind but in big trouble. Anyway you take it easy chat ya in a better place. Marc in Athlone. R.I.P
          01:15:20 mrspring [35385******0] Gona really miss gerry ryan, he was so open and honest and his funny stories every day on d radio got me thru work. One of a kind. Sleep is unlikely so thanks for d great tunes as always:-) Michael
          01:37:39 mrspring [35385******4] GERRY U WERE A PEACEMAKER. .FROM 9 to 12 .EACH DAY. . .U LISTENED TO THE PEOPLE. .AND HEARD WHAT THEY HAD TO SAY. .AT TIMES THEIR STORIES WERE PAINFUL. .BUT U HELPED TO DRY THEIR THEIR TEARS. . U SOLVED SO MANY PROBLEMS. . AND QUELLED A LOT OF THEIR FEARS. .U GRADUATED FROM TRINITY. . U WERE TEN STEPS AHEAD OF THE GAME. BUT WHEN IT CAME TO PRESENTING YR. SHOW. .U TREATED US ALL THE SAME. GERRY WE ARE GOING TO MISS U. .OUR MORNINGS WILL NEVER B THE SAME. . U ARE LISTENING TO 2fm. IN HEAVEN NOW. .THE ANGELS ALL KNOW OF YR. FAME. . U HAD JOY. U HAD FUN. .U HAD SEASONS IN THE SUN. . BUT THE WINE AND THE S G . .LIKE THE SEASONS HAVE ALL GONE. . . . ANN. BANTRY. WEST CORK. R.I.P
          -----------------------------------------------------------------
          01:46:59 mrspring [35386*****2] To all gerry's trusted team: Im so sorry 4 ur loss guys xx, the whole country is stil in shock, i stil cant believe it!, i keep shaking my head in disbelief, god bless and look over his five beloved children and all who were close 2 his heart. gerry u were great on so many levels, but honey, most of all u were a compassionate man and u made. i wud love 2 have shared a jameson or 6 wit u and got 2 kno d man in person, the devoted father u were. from claire b, a huge fan from fermoy. im so happy i had the honour 2 talk 2 u once on d phone, u aways were r a shining diamond gerry, so keep on shining u crazy diamond. I wil listen 2 the radio this monday morn but after that i dont think i can 4 a while, it wil never b the same. X
          ------------------------------------------------------------------
          01:55:57 mrspring [35387******6] Gerry was everyones icon. I tried the fine brandies and vodkys and other luxeries he so fondly talked about that i would never have even known about. Most important he grabed a subject by the scruff of the neck and delt with it. May god give comfert to those close to him. R. I. P. Pat. Wexford.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Last edited by Rikand; Sat 01-05-2010, 1:56 AM.

Comment

Emails...

Message For: The Spring Sessions | Message Details: Hi and thanks for your words about gerry in the opening of the show. I remember the late night Gerry, loved the nod to the twelve inches that he played at that time, I would sit in my bedroom and wait for human league or china crisis to be played. although he rocked to led zeppelin the guy was always open to new music no matter it's form. Can't believe it, its like a bad dream. Never met him but loved the guy. I know it's hard for you guys tonight, my best wishes and prayers to his family and all at 2FM

Mick.

=======================

Please pass on my condolences to Gerrys family & friends, I am thinking of you all at this terrible time.
            Watching Tubberty on The Late Late Show tonight was heartbreaking, but a wonderful tribute from his friends and colleagues,
            I started listening to Gerry 21 years ago as a young girl and he gave me so much strength to laugh in the face of adversity, my parents were going through a messy divorce and I found solstice in my room listening to him, I loved him dearly alhough I never met him, he was a constant staple in my life, even when I moved to Liverpool and then America I would catch up with his shows on d'internet.
            He kept me going through da shitty days of treatment for ovarian cancer, and I always said to Mam, that I couldnt get to sleep at night unless I listened to his beautiful husky tones,
            I always felt comfy and safe no matter what when I listened to him, he gave me a sense of security when I was homesick,
            He will be so sadly missed, he was extremely funny and bright, no-one will ever ever ever replace him,
            Someone said tonight that he championed the women of Ireland.
            My family & friends just simply loved the bones of him.
            An amazing human being that touched so many people.
            Sorry for your troubles
            Annalivia & family,
            County Antrim, Nortern Ireland.
            xxx

==============================

Message For: The Spring Sessions | Message Details: dj gerry ryan landed on his feet at 2 fm a man could not be beat sadly missed fut never be forgotton the national airwaves wont be the same again the late great john lennons song imagine will remind me of him | Name: dj john dully

==============================

Message For: The Spring Sessions | Message Details: its a sad day for us all gerry ryan r.i.p let us all live our lives as he did with respect and care for all and to enjoy our time for our bodies are only on hire i was lucky to meet gerry at the areosmith gig in marley park after the show he was walking through the park late that evening with johnny logan and i stopped him for a chat he felt he knew me and asked had we met before? and i said yes every morning mon to friday 9 to 12 am all ears.. he replied talk to you in the morning so what bloody time is it anyway?laughing in fact dont answer that? it was a very funny moment and way past his bed time he kindly thanked me i could tell the boys had a great night laughing together doing there thing as they walked on trust me when i say on air off air a very down to earth funny sound gentleman always to be i know 2fm will never be the same but it will remain the best god bless you all and love always | Name: ultan beare
            jUst plAythAtbEAt

Comment

Message For: The Spring Sessions | Message Details: Very shocked to hear of Gerrys death. Anytime I hear 'No more I love yous' by Annie Lennox I think of Gerry. He loved that song and played it every morning for what seemed like every day for at least a year. RIP GERRY you were loved by many :-) | Name: Georgina

========================

Message For: The Spring Sessions | Message Details: im so shocked the to hear about gerry i dont know what i will do in mornings i loved hearing him so much i never met him but i thought of him as a brother helping me through so bad times he was so funny and up front and straight to the point at times i lost my sister in jan of this year i know how his family are feeling i feel so sorry for all of u at 2 fm and his family i have lost two family members in one year so so sorry | Name: frances
              jUst plAythAtbEAt

Comment

RIP Gerry.

Comment

i was on the way up to the dam yesterday and some random dude on the train from carlow told me, i couldnt get over it! sad news

Comment

So.. i did the 6 hours of 80's 12inches this weekend, 4 of them are here:

http://mrspring.info/Radiomixes/2010/lightsout.mp3

Help Yourself, and enjoy some of the moments that earned Ger the respek he gets from me..

I will admit to only listening to his Morning chat show a few times in all those years he was on.. TBH, by the time he had moved to the mornings i was deeply involved in making my own radio shows.. But, the thought of having to pull 3 hours of talk-driven radio a day out of my ass makes me shudder, so during the morning show run i was _aware_ of the scale of what he was doing, but it wasn't for me.. I also was rarely out of bed before midday, which is probably the MAIN reason the show never clicked with me lol..

So, I won't miss that show, unless of coarse the loss of it causes the implosion of 2FM, and me to loose my job, but i will miss having him around the place terribly. Just seeing him at his desk was reassuring - knowing he was there and You didn't have to pretend with him if things were weird, which they have been many many times.

There's plenty of fake smiles in the business, and fake people.. I naturally resist these people - they make my flesh crawl, and they feel this and naturally avoid me also.. Lol, works well for me.. I think Ger also had a bit of this going on, it was IMPOSSIBLE to pretend you were a superstar DJ or whatever with him, he fuc*ing KNEW the truth, and i think took offense if You tried to lay on the fake with him..

Much was made on the late late about him disliking the 'suits' in RTE.. He was damn right. A portion of the 'suits' are quite offensive. A necessary evil, a symbiotic relationship exists between us & them, sure, but suits rarely have the ability to 'feel'.. They hide behind statistics and other people's thinking, never DARING to actually take their feelings into account, never having the BALLS to do anything without a gang of people to blame if it all fails.. What does this make You think of? People with no feelings? Cowards? Zombies? Whatever, they NEED someone to provide resistance - it's the only way to get that extra layer of thinking into things.. Because, they not only have to analyze things to the nth degree, with crap on paper to back it up, but they then have to deal with the anger of having some 'Jumped up Disc Jockey' putting it up to them - this drags their personality and ego into things, and FORCES THEM TO FEEL. This would be referred to as being 'challenging'.. It drags even the most braindead pen-pusher back to reality. This is a skill, and something Ger had a skipload of. THIS is why he lasted on the talk show. I didn't have to listen, i saw it in the papers, i heard about it word-of-mouth, i knew he was doing it every day.

So. That is that. Another Rock n' Roll death FFS.. I loved the words at the funeral from 2001 and Blade Runner.. I'd like something like that said at my cremation - but from CLOCKWORK ORANGE and BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS.. Anything from CLOCKWORK will do, but the bit from BBTS has to be the booby chick in the tiny spaceship's last words before she blew herself up.. Heh. Yes, that's me, a sexy Suicide bomber in a Roger Corman sci-fi ripoff of THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN.
                    jUst plAythAtbEAt

Comment

Originally posted by playthatbeat View Post
                      So.. i did the 6 hours of 80's 12inches this weekend, 4 of them are here:

http://mrspring.info/Radiomixes/2010/lightsout.mp3

Help Yourself, and enjoy some of the moments that earned Ger the respek he gets from me..

Classic! wtb the other 2 hours

Comment

Originally posted by Rikand View Post
                        Classic! wtb the other 2 hours
                        Yeah - me 2 - the other 2 hours as well please when yar reddy derr bud :kthxbai: >;]

Comment

I was almost furious when I listened to this the first time. I was like " WTF, He skipped Chop 2 ???? " But then it came in after chop 3 and everything was okay.

Comment

okay. now that I have finally gotten to listen to the last hour. I see you have chop 5. Therefore you don't need to post up the other 2 hours, lol

rock me Amadeus and She sells sanctuary = multi multi win!

Comment

hmm

this is what I have anyway:

Format:
                              [Date :: 24hr Time of broadcast :: (Hour of show on Day)]

MP3 Tracklisting
                              [Sat 08th May :: 00:00 - 01:00 :: (Hour 1 of 2)]
                              FGTH - 2 TRIBES
                              Dead Or Alive - You Spin Me Round
                              Freez - Iou
                              New Order Confusion
                              Shannon - Give Me Tonite
                              Simple Minds - New Gold Dream
                              Reflex - The Politics Of Dancing
                              Kraftwerk - The Model
                              Tears For Fears - Pale Shelter
                              Magazine 60 - Don Quichotte

[Sat 08th May :: 22:00 - 23:00 :: (Hour 1 of 4)]
                              Animotion - Obsession
                              Fgth - Relax
                              Queen - Radio Gaga
                              PSB - West End Girls
                              Scritti Politti - Wood Beez
                              Hall & Oats - Out Of Touch
                              Human League - Fascination
                              Depeche Mode - Everything Coujts
                              Herbie Hancock - Rockit
                              Propaganda - P Machinary
                              Thomas Dolby - Hyperactive

[Sat 08th May :: 01:00 - 02:00 :: (Hour 2 of 2)]
                              Echo & The Bunnymen - The Killing Moon
                              Culture Club - Miss Me Blind
                              Thompson Twins - Love On Your Side
                              David Bowie - Let'S Dance
                              Lydia Murdoch - Superstar
                              Sister Sledge - Lost In Music (84 Remix)
                              D-Train - Ur The 1 For Me
                              Talk Talk - Its My Life
                              Third World - Now That We Found Love

[Sun 09th May :: 00:00 - 01:00 :: (Hour 3 of 4)]
                              Imagination - Just An Illusion
                              Nu Shooz - I Can'T Wait
                              Princess - Say I'M Your Number 1
                              Falco - Rock Me Amadeus
                              The Cure - Why Can'T I B U?
                              The Cult - She Sells Sanctuary
                              Killing Joke - Love Like Blood
                              Big Country - In A Big Country